Saturday, January 9, 2010

Day 1: complete with skiing and northern lights

The problem with 47 hours of travel, a 9 hour time difference, and 24-hour darkness is that 'jet lag' becomes too mild of a term. SAT time-- Jetlag : toothpick as my-body's-sense-of-time : amazon rainforest. Despite this analogy, however, I'm happily settling in to life in Longyearbyen. Travel here was relatively painless- only a few snaffoos about my lack of a Norwegian visa and my inability to keep my lunch in my stomach on airplanes.

I think I'm going to love it here. The other students I've met so far are delightful, my barrack is cozy, and Longyearbyen is a veritable winter wonderland with 8 inches of dry powder. Because the air is so dry here, the -18 C temperatures aren't bone-chilling, so I'm expecting to spend lots of time out enjoying the snow.

In a few hours I'm trekking up to the top of a nearby glacier (Longyearbreen) with some guys who have been here since August. They're going to teach me how to telemark ski, despite my best attempt to convince them that me on skis in the dark is a bad idea.

(edit from a few hours later: I survived!! And I saw the northern lights!!)

3 comments:

Celene said...

This sounds wonderful!!! I can't wait to have a chance to talk with you. Much love from Oregon!

Celene

Unknown said...

You SAW them!!! The Northern Lights!!!! First day there. Now how cool is that? m.

Unknown said...

I've always dreamt of seeing the northern lights in person... way to go! Check that off your list. You did bring a good camera right?